Late last week, with the holiday knitting finished, I cast on a new project, new in many senses. I haven’t yet knit brioche; so far, I haven’t really found a project that captures my fancy which is why I’ve put it off, but then I found Flashpoint by Knitting Apprentice. This hat has the look of cables, and it was one of the first patterns for brioche that made me say ‘hmmm.’ It calls for DK weight yarn, and I had two skeins that would look awesome together, so away I went.
Step one is the German Twisted Cast-on, new to me, so a few YouTube videos later, and it was started. My go-to is long tail (or sling shot) so a lot of the movements were not unfamiliar.
Once ready to start the hat, what surprised me is the whole new set of abbreviations that is involved with brioche. brk, brkyobrk, sssbrk. I’ve never seen these letters arranged together; it almost felt like learning a new language, having to make sense of what these combinations of letters mean and what I’m supposed to do. The hat has an option for a ribbed brim or just going right into the body, so to get used to the brioche motions, I’ve knit the brim, and after the first couple rounds not only did I feel like I was getting the hang of it, I was enjoying it!
Made pretty good progress, if I do say so myself.
Between this hat, my stashdown sweater, a cowl and a few pairs of socks, I should be able to get a lot of knitting done over the holidays!
For those who celebrate, a very Merry Christmas!