It’s finished. After 11 months on my needles, of picking it up, putting it down for weeks, then the flurry of ribbing at the end, my Madewell Cardigan is finished.
And I love it.
My only really modification came right at the end. The collar involved picking up over 300 stitches and ribbing for 28 rows. I was thrilled to ‘Bind off as established’ as called for the pattern but as soon as I tried it on, I wasn’t happy with it. ‘If only I did a stretchy bind-off’ I thought. Hoping it would block okay, I washed and blocked and crossed my fingers. Tried it on after and still not happy. So what do I do? Because I’m apparently insane, I took out the bind off edge, carefully putting the now live stitches back on my cable needle, and bound off using Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind off. This process must have taken about 3-4 hours, removing, putting live stitches back on, and re-casting off all with black fingering weight yarn, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I’m SO much happier with the finished edging, and I love my new cardigan to bits.
Pattern: Madewell by Joji Locatelli
Yarn: Cascade Heritage Solids, black; the elbow patches were from bits and bobs of leftover Manos del Uruguay Alegría.
Since March last year, I’ve been slowly but surely working on a cardigan: Madewell by Joji Locatelli. It’s a fingering weight project, and because I like, ahem, challenges, I decided to make it with black yarn. When I’m working on it around others, like at a LYS, people often share their own black sock yarn horror stories (“Never again” is often exclaimed), and on a few occasions I’ve been asked why am I punishing myself. Black sock weight yarn can be a wee bit hard on the eyes. Challenges aside, I love it, and with my wardrobe, a black cardigan will be worn time and time again, hence my colour choice.
This has been a great project to pick up after having put it down for weeks at a time. It’s largely stockinette, lots of knits and purls. Because I no longer feel the urgency of holiday knitting, I’ve been able to dedicate more time towards this project. I was nearing the end of the body, no more shaping increases or decreases, so the knits and purls proved to be great mindless knitting, working on a row or two while watching TV or reading on my e-reader.
I feel like I’ve actually made some progress with it this weekend, finishing the bottom ribbing and starting working on the sleeve. This is my first experience with raglan sleeves, and I must say I love it. You don’t need to worry about setting in and seeming. The stitches came off the holder, onto a 16″ circular needle and away I knit in the round. Once again, being all stockinette, it’s proving to be fantastic for mindless knitting.
One whimsical feature of this sweater are the elbow patches, a great way to use up a few metres of that extra sock yarn everyone has in their stash. I had three colours of Manos Del Uruguay that worked well together, so after binding off the main body, I took a break and knit up one elbow patch. They add a great pop of colour to this staple sweater.
Can’t wait to get back to knitting and hopefully in the coming weeks, I’ll be able to show off the finished cardigan!
Maybe it’s the time of year, maybe it’s the fact that Daytime Savings Time just arrived, my least favourite weekend of the year, but I’m feeling tapped for inspiration for a new post. Life has been quiet, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’m working away on Gryffindor Scarf 1 of 2, making good progress, my job is steady and keeping me busy, and I haven’t had any major excursions of late to share. For where I am right now, everything is as it should be.
I have been happily wearing my mid-winter cardigan, which I finished a week or so ago. My wonderful co-worker took a few pictures of me wearing it last week, so here they are.
My Midwinter Cardigan is almost complete. It’s in that stage where it’s so close, but there’s still enough knitting left to keep me busy. One sleeve. That’s all. It’s testing my patience because I want more than anything is to set in the sleeves and wear it, but… one sleeve.
Last night, I blocked the body and the one finished sleeve, and I’m working on getting that sleeve finished. My goal is to be wearing this cardigan by the weekend, and with how cold it has been in southern Ontario, having a warm sweater to wear will be delightful.
I have loved everything about this project, from the bulky yarn it called for, making it a quick knit (I used 7 hanks of Berroco Vintage Chunky), to the cabling down the front, which made knitting long rows more interesting. I managed to get gauge with using 7.5mm needles, a somewhat awkward size. To make the sleeves, knit in the round, I tried my hand at the Magic Loop for the first time. It took me a while to get used to this new-to-me technique, and it also was an adjustment to not get ladders where the stitches were divided; ultimately I got used to this method and sleeve number two is knitting up like a dream.
Finally, I love that the yarn I bought for this project was the first yarn I wound on the swift my father made for me. I bought the yarn a) for this project, and b) so that I could use my new knitting toy, hand made by my amazing father. This cardigan will always remind me of that beloved Christmas gift.
Now excuse me while I continue to work on this sleeve…